Monochromatic Images

There is something wonderfully evocative about a black and white image. Perhaps it reminds one of a bygone era, or perhaps it signals a certain level of sophistication, or maybe even, having stripped of all colour, it forces the viewer to focus on the merits of the image alone. Whatever the reason, in these days of digital photography the black and white photograph is still a very popular medium to display a photograph. Almost every kind of subject has been captured in black and white - from stunning portraits to sweeping landscapes to the form and structure of abstracts.

Yet, having said I don't think that all kinds of pictures are suitable for conversion into black and white. If you asked me what criteria I had for that, I wouldn't be able to tell you definitely - I'd say it depends on what mood or feel you're trying to achieve with a certain picture. Sometimes, it's just a gut feeling or a matter of experimentation whether a certain shot would work in monochrome.

Well, no one ever said that photography is an exact science.


The Moon on Black
Pentax K10D, 1/90 sec., f/11

4 comments:

March 14, 2010 at 5:37 AM Anonymous said...

I am not going to be original this time, so all I am going to say that your blog rocks, sad that I don't have suck a writing skills

March 14, 2010 at 2:08 PM Perry R. Lim said...

Hi

Thanks for dropping by. Well, you can develop your writing skills. It's going to take some time, but keep at it and you'll improve!

August 20, 2010 at 3:27 AM Anonymous said...

I'd love to see shots for tennis!

August 23, 2011 at 2:05 PM de engineur said...

very inspiring shots you have here in your photo blog.

nice shot of the moon too. Was that taken recently?

 
ss_blog_claim=5b747ea34e513b121a74ecf8c956234f